Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Remember the beginnings!!!



I'm in the process of starting to fill out applications, potentially send resumes, it seems the closure of spring break is propelling me forward to action, movement... I pulled out my application essay I wrote last spring for the school of worship and smiled at my almost triumphant attempt to keep it at 200 words...how one does that AND explains their testimony, life goals, and how new life fits into that is beyond me! But just to remind myself and share...here it is....


Last summer, a girl shared why she switched her major, "My pastor told me his father discouraged him from preaching, saying he should only preach if absolutely necessary. My pastor realized that not preaching was like losing the ability to breathe.  I chose physics because I was good at it, I left it for music because I wanted to breathe again."

Her words resonated in me, planting hopes that God was calling me to worship leading.  Last fall led me to a church plant, and to become the Interim Worship Leader at its launch in March.  The past four months have stretched me as a leader, musician, and worshipper.  But it has also birthed in me a hunger to learn more; how to be a more humble leader and a stronger servant.

I love Jesus. I have since middle school when a guy showed up with a guitar, overhead lyrics, and an invitation to come alive to the gospel.

I love people. Their stories, loves, hurts, and laughter.

I love that music can connect people with God.

I am now confident that God has called me to lead worship, but I also feel He has called me to a time of preparation and learning. At New Life School of Worship, I can build the foundation of musical, technical, and theological knowledge I need, to be a leader of integrity and excellence.  My prayer is that God would use the next year at the School of Worship, to light a fire and passion in me, a burning desire to know Him more, and to lead people into His presence.   

These thoughts still echo is me...I am so thankful for this year to "ferociously devour Jesus", as the wise David Perkins says.... we are in the home stretch, but I feel the need to press in, dig a bit deeper, and love a little bit harder....who wants the good-byes to be easy? :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...