Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Home for the Holidays

I.love.home. I actually was a mess at the airport last Thursday having had little sleep all week in anticipation of seeing family after a long four months.  I made quite good friends with my seatmates on the flight, Brian, a construction worker residing in Denver but originally from Chester on the Eastern Shore, headed home to help his dad lay flooring down, and Nick, a Nasa scientist from Annapolis who spends his spare time racing 30 ft sailboats headed back from yet another business trip.  True to my character, by mid flight we had our laptops out sharing pictures and stories to pass the time.  And even truer to form we did at one point get asked to quiet down by a flight attendant...:o)

But home has been so good. Nate, our two and a half year old gem, is so big now, and wasted no time in showing me all his trains and pulling out our guitars. He's gotten pretty smart, hogging all the picks, and when I ask for one, calmly informing me I can "use my hands."  The kid uses huge words, like "favorite" and "exciting".... he's a lot of fun with his stories and ideas.  And it's good to be back with the rest of the family, I love the whole family around the table having dinner and talking about their days.

I'm slowly working my way around to see friends, mentors, and other deeper acquaintances. It just took a few days for the shock of being back on the East Coast to wear off and for the realization that I am not here long to set in.  And more family comes in the early hours of Friday morning...it will be so good to see Jacob! And because my brother and family will be here through Tuesday morning there will be a plethora of opportunities to play with the nephews together.

I'm trying to enjoy each moment as it comes, share my stories, hear what's been going on since I left, get into D.C. and use public transportation a bit, and get myself pumped to head back west for five months.  I think it may be easier this next go round. First because I know what to expect and second because with a couple of visits from home, it won't feel like I'm completely disconnected for as long. And God is faithful, he's brought me this far, and the water's only set to get deeper. I hope you are enjoying your time with family and friends and that you have a very Merry Christmas!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...