Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Allison visits the Wild West!

I have found that one of the hardest things about being away from home, is the lack of knowledge that new friends have. It takes time to become old friends...and lots of sharing of stories and new experiences. I find so often, that when I try to explain where I am headed, I have to back up and explain a lengthy back story or preface.  But that is what made a visit from home so special this past weekend. Miss Allison came out for a few days and I had all day Friday to soak her in and show her a bit of my life here in Colorado. 
I met Allison back in high school on a three week mission/choir trip to Mexico. We only kept in touch minimally through college, but a couple of summers ago, we both ended up back in Springfield, and hung out quite a bit as we both figured out what we wanted to do.  She knows my story of the past few years, watched as I hesitantly stepped out into what God was calling me to, and she is more than ever supportive of where I might be headed. Such a sweet, dear friend.
So for our very special day, we headed to Manitou Springs, mainly because I wanted to eat at the Heart of Jerusalem Cafe...mmmm....hummus and dolmas! But we also checked out the penny arcade, played some skee ball, and tried the famous Manitou Springs water.
This next picture doesn't really fit in to this post, but I thought it was such a crazy head... possibly the face of the voice in my GPS titled, "Dr. Nightmare"?
And true to form, as most stories in this chapter of adventure out west, whenever I find myself trying something, someone happens to come along to explain the history, offer help/guidance, answer questions. When we came across the first fountain, a woman came up as well with an empty water jug waiting to fill it up with the spring water. There are multiple fountains across this little town, each fed by a different spring with their own mix of minerals....quite disgusting, but fascinating to try! Our information lady told us this was the fountain that made the best lemonade and that she drinks this water everyday. We had fun making faces as we tried each different fountain we came across.
Darci came along too!
Probably the worst fountain is one found in a little candy/tourist shop. It is mostly full of sulphur, but luckily after you try the water, the owners give you a sample of fudge.

In the midst of our wanderings around Manitou and later a tour of New Life, Allison and I discussed life, dreams, and everything in between.  A beautiful day, with a beautiful friend. Allison...thanks for visiting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...