Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Learning to Sew

 What I absolutely adore about my time in Colorado, is that as soon as I want to learn something, there's totally someone around to teach me! Fellow School of Worship Student, Kia, had a sweet laptop bag that her sister had made for her.  When I saw it, I proposed a day of sewing lessons.  Kia kindly agreed and last Friday afternoon found me in her home, complete with quilting frames, spinning wheels, lots of homeschooled children, and a homey, welcoming atmosphere to learn in.
 I cannot lie...I did take home ec in 8th grade, but since then, well, nothing was retained except a faint memory of plaid boxer shorts that didn't fit right, but looked pretty cool. So I watched in awe at the process of loading the bobbin, threading the machine, and trying to keep a steady pressure on the foot pedal....which for me is more a process of not freaking out when too much pressure is applied...exceptionally hard for me.
I picked up a couple of yards of polka print and a pattern for a very simple bag. Funny, I don't have a picture of the finished product, but before I sewed the bottom shut, I did have the brilliant idea for Kia to wear it as a tank top...I definitely have potential in the fashion industry. :o) Due to my social nature and love of chatting and ability to break a sewing machine, the project we started at 3 pm wasn't finished till close to 8...but hey, we did take a break to eat some homemade chili and cinnamon rolls...perfection!  I am totally going to get into this sewing business, expect a bag as a present when your birthday rolls around!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...