Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Buffalo Bill


Kansas is all rolling prairies and fields of wildflowers, spread out farms, and occasional miles of windmills.  Being the last day of our westward trek, we spent the first part of the day in the car, determined to make it to Oakley, Kansas before lunch. First stop of the day was a gigantic statue of Buffalo Bill on the site of a great buffalo hunt.  Maybe if I had read the details more closely, I could sufficiently recall all the facts, but it was a competition between Bill and another guy.... Bill won, and over a hundred buffalo were killed that day.
Regardless of the slaughter, the statue is impressive and totally a kodak moment in the making. It's on a small hill and as you walk up, you can see fields and fields for miles in every direction.
So awesome..... at this point, the battery of my camera was almost dead.... I am not smart enough to charge it at the hotel overnight.... Also to be noted is the gift shop located on the site, where a guy sits and waits for visitors to buy books, magnets, chat about where they are headed... maybe I should choose that as a career path!
Ok, so I saw a guy choose this pose the same time we were up there and so I had to try it. Obviously being shorter, well....I don't have the same poise he did.

A fun little stop, nice that it doesn't cost anything and in a beautiful, windy setting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...