Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Directing A Band

I get slightly worked up when projects, particularly ones that are more of a "performance" based nature (like speeches) come along. And the biggest grade in my Directing a Band class just so happened to come from a project in which you physically direct a band in front of the class. You bring in an unfamiliar song, rhythm chart, and directions and within twenty minutes play it through to satisfaction. Then you receive a critique and a grade. Paralyzing to my soul's history of insecurity in practice type scenarios.

I went in the middle of the group, having time to watch a few classmates go, but not long enough to procrastinate and put it off.  I really appreciate the friendships I've made here... that allow me to be a bit more frantic as necessary. :o)The evening before my project, I actually made it a point to go hang out with people I hadn't seen in months, it completely settled me down because a) I spent all evening playing the "hi my name is" and "what do you do?" game and b) you can't talk about a project frantically with strangers... 

My problem is that I over analyze any prospective scenarios that could occur, and I was completely prepared.  And so as always, I slipped my shoes off, put my big girl pants on (figuratively speaking), and got up with confidence. We did Laura Story's version of "What a Savior", off the catalyst music project.  A simple enough song, so that I could accomplish it in the time allotted...actually less time allotted because we were having problems with the inner ears on the drums and had to set up another monitor so he could hear.

The only thing I really missed was asking my drummer to play a straight groove and not catching on that he was playing a funk groove by mistake... once the music is going, it fit and really...we only had one day of "lecture" on the drums and bass together. I got home to my host mom asking how I did.  I said, "An A, of course." as I walked downstairs to crash for the rest of the day. In my exhaustion I had left humility in the closet....haha... I literally slept except for classes and whatnot the next two days straight.  Definitely a good time of stretching for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...