Saturday, June 25, 2011

An Evening in Floyd

Last night, my soul needed some bluegrass music. I think it was a combo of being back in southwest Virginia, missing my grandpa something fierce, and a desire to have a bit of an adventure....regardless, the cool and humidity-less summer evening found me down in Floyd, about forty minutes from Christiansburg, enjoying the festive, Friday night.

The Floyd Country Store has live music on Friday nights, and they are not lying when they say seats are limited and fill fast.  But for those too scattered to sit still long, musicians are up and down the main drag in town, finding pockets of other musicians to play with.  There were times I would stop to look around and I could hear songs being played by some three different groups. Various pieces of plywood were laid down for the flat-footers and the crowds around the music spilled often into the street.

There is something inspiring about the organic-ness of bluegrass.  These people know the songs, the words, the harmonies, and how to provide for the different parts.  They are brilliant in their knowledge of the instruments and can easily switch between. There was an ache in my heart as the night went on, I want to learn, to have that part of Grandpa in me, even if he's no longer here.  At least I didn't cry at the sight of an upright bass this time around.

I met a host of interesting characters, watched the sunset in the blue ridge and enjoyed a waffle cone of ice cream while joining the crowds on the streets.  I also found a cemetery of deeply weathered and worn down headstones all dating back to the 1800's, the small plot of land was tucked in between shops, a hotel, and trailers....:o) As unique as Floyd.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...