Monday, July 18, 2011

The Cascades

Every Sunday, Project SPY attends morning service at Fieldstone, eats a lunch of Subway sandwiches, and hikes up the Cascades, a pretty easy trail of 2 miles through the woods, along a river until it reaches a gorgeous, tumbling waterfall.  It has been a great chance to connect with people at the start of the week, a forty-five minute huff and puff gives not only a chance to chat, but to bond as well.

This week, I was feeling a little tired and grumpy.  I didn't even take my ukulele like I have been, just content to hike and sit quietly while the semi-chaos of students jumping and splashing in the water commenced.  I found a spot on the walkway to sit by an also quiet camper and we watched and occasionally commented on the activity below....mostly pointing out the people that slipped and fell :o)

Close to quitting time for our group, as I was still sitting and reflecting, I heard a strangely, familiar voice. I looked up to see in front of me an old friend from the time I lived in Roanoke three or four years ago....he hadn't changed much, just chopped off his once long hair, but his easy grin still fell into place as I called his name.  We spent the next quick five minutes catching up, until one of our junior interns came over to mention we were heading out.  It does my heart good to run into a familiar face even in the craziness that is camp and life in Christiansburg, Va!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...