Saturday, August 6, 2011

Beauty in the Quiet

There is nothing like living in a warehouse for a couple of months to bring about an appreciation of cozy couches, soft carpets, and the quiet that comes when one is alone in a house curled up with a small dog for company.

The last three months have been such a whirlwind, from Colorado to Virginia, from schoolwork to packing to camplife.  It was a good five weeks into the summer before I took a step back and realized I missed those crazy Coloradans with their loving wit and open hearts.  And now I once again look into the questions of what comes next, what I thought was an easy answer of staying, has taken a huge reality punch with a high dental bill, a depleted bank account, and the desire to press forward.

But for this weekend, I have stilled the craziness and sought refuge with a little furry friend in a house empty with its residents on vacation.  How we take for granted the simple acts of grocery shopping, meal prep and devouring, and a chance to spend a Saturday morning curled up with a cup of coffee and remote in hand.

Today I went down to Stepping Out, an outdoor street festival in downtown Blacksburg, full of food, crafters, and music.  I met up with old Alta Mons buddy, Rhiannon, and her friend Brady, to eat vegetarian cuisine at Gilly's (hummus wraps are awesome!) and to stroll in between rain spurts around the tents and vendors.  We spent much of the afternoon in an apartment just off the main street, keeping a tiny chihuahua company and telling stories of mutual friends and our current lives.

One more week of closeout and pack up and my obligation to Project SPY is done... I hate that this heart of mine digs in so deeply and attaches itself, I hate that I am so new to these feelings of stay versus go, and wish goodbyes were easier.....along with dental visits...

I lead for the last time this summer at Fieldstone tomorrow morning, crazy to think that other than one Sunday, I have led every week since stepping foot back in Virginia... I think a break next week will be good for my soul, a time to unpack and unwind my heart.

Becky and Nate came and visited a couple of weeks ago, did my soul good to see family and have an unplanned afternoon where we meandered through stores, the hotel pool, dinner, and finally a movie on my laptop as Nate took up an entire bed sideways in slumber.

Well, back to enjoying a quiet Saturday night...thankful that my Sunday afternoons of hiking are behind me! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...